Spanning four generations and over 80 years in the business, Armstrong Produce is guided by strong values inspired by the Teruya family’s humble beginnings.
1930s & 1940s - Ushi & Yoken Teruya, and their nine children, grow and harvest cabbage, string beans and papaya at the family farm in Kailua. The Teruya family begins to help neighboring farmers transport and sell their produce throughout O’ahu.
Photo: The Teruya children working at the family farm in 1947.
1940s to 1970s - The truck farming business evolves into a small wholesale operation, called Honolulu Produce, on River Street in downtown Honolulu.
Photo: Billy, Yoken & Harold Teruya at Honolulu Produce in 1959
1979 - Harold Teruya, buys Armstrong Produce, located at the former Food Distribution Center in Kaka'ako and continues to grow the business on O’ahu.
Photo: Harold Teruya, and wife, Ethel, at Armstrong Produce in 1999.
1980s & 1990s - Armstrong started supplying Maui with fresh produce in 1981 and formally expanded its operations in 1993, opening a new office under the Kula Produce name.
Photo: Kula Produce employees in 1996
2005 - After 26 years in Kaka'ako, Armstrong Produce Honolulu moves into their new state-of-the-art facility in Mapunapuna, Honolulu's industrial district.
Photo: Armstrong Produce Honolulu's office in 2006
2006 - With the success of Kula Produce, Armstrong Produce expands into Hawaii Island, beginning Armstrong Produce Kona’s operations.
Photo: Armstrong Produce Kona's new warehouse groundbreaking in 2014
- Support our local farmers
- Take care of our employees
- Give back to our community
- Earn our customers’ business every day
Armstrong Produce was the first produce wholesaler and distributor in the state of Hawaii to:
- Charter cargo planes to import produce from the continental US by air in the 1960s
- Introduce a fleet of temperature-controlled trucks in the 1980s
- Construct a climate-controlled, transitional facility with cold chain protection in 2005
- Secure food safety, HACCP, and GFSI certifications beginning in 2003
- Tag and track every case of produce that enters our warehouse